Why Did the Turtle Cross the Road?


Why did the turtle cross the road\?  To start a family.  Back home in Connecticut the DEEP (Department of Energy and Environmmental Protection) has suggested that if it's safe, help turtles cross the road.

Thanks, boys.  I've been doing that for years.

Respect your elders, people.  Help the turtles cross the road.  Running them over is like running over your grandmother.  Get a grip on your heart and help the turtles.  Allow yourself to be blessed by these marvelous creatures.  Be a fully participating member of your planet and feel good about yourself.  Please.

Here's the story from the Hartford Courant.    

Across the state, hundreds of female turtles are crawling out of swampy areas in search of a place to lay their eggs. But busy highways are not a good place for turtles, whose agility in dodging speeding cars is not their strongpoint.

Some turtles roam more than others. The box turtle is known to be more terrestrial than others, and its travels often bring it into a road. It is listed as a species of special concern by DEEP..

When a nesting turtle is killed, it makes a dramatic impact on the population, Dickson said. Since turtles mature late in life, they sometimes have to reach 8 or 10 years of age to reproduce, said Rick Jacobson, director of the wildlife division.
The environmental protection department is asking residents to be on the lookout for turtles and, when possible and safe, help them across the road.

"Helping a turtle move across the road can be the difference between life and death for the animal, and for future generations. But your safety comes first," Jacobson said.

Post a Comment

18 Comments

  1. What a tough time they have of it. I'm glad you have provided this info. Hopefully more folks will stop and help them along when they need it. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for helping my turtle pals!



    Aloha from Waikiki,
    Comfort Spiral
    > < } } ( ° >

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I never thought much about turtles. But now I do. Glad you and others are advocating for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:53 PM

    That's a lovely photo!

    If everyone thought of turtles as their grandmother, there would be fewer turtle deaths...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I resemble that remark, i certainly walk like a turtle these days...slowly! lol...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice and for me unusual image!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe that people would actually run over a turtle??? Ack!!
    How cruel!!
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe people drive over turtles. That's just not right.
    I would sure help one cross a street or give it time to cross at least. Poor things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i hardly ever see turtles and rarely ever in a road, but there are places that critters cross, we are the ones who put the roads on their path.... so awesome that you have been helping the turtles to safety.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I help turtles across the road whenever it is safe to do so. Way back when in high school when we read "The Grapes of Wrath" one of the things that stuck with me was the narrative where the truck driver intentionally ran over a turtle in the road. I know it wasn't meant literally but I've made it point since to miss the turtles and if not on a highway to help them get across.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do love turtles and thank you for your post!! I've never understood how anyone could run over a turtle!! I'm so glad there are people who are trying to look out for them! Such a terrific capture/post, Sandy!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks for providing this info. i do love turtles. great post, sandy!

    that photo is truly great as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. the photo is wonderful
    around here we have geese families that need help and I always stop
    I have found that my cane comes in handy for stopping traffic and nudging babies :)

    congrats on POTW

    ReplyDelete
  14. Running over a turtle can't be an easy thing to do, they're big and slow. (Unless it was dark out, then maybe they should slow down or pay closer attention.

    ReplyDelete
  15. aww. this is sweet. congrats on your POTW!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't imagine anyone running over one on purpose. We've had to wait for tortoises to cross in Florida!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the informative post about turtles. I had no idea. Now if I see one trying to cross the road I will make a concerted effort to help the poor creature. Congrats on POTW!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very substantial and poignant post and I know you have passion for these beautiful creatures.
    Well deserved POTW, have a nice weekend dear Sandy,
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for being here.